Occasionally the body will form a spasm or muscle tension. If this becomes chronic or is the result of an injury, trigger point dry needling is an acceptable treatment option. It involves the insertion of an extremely fine needle into the trigger point of a muscle to release the tension, decrease pain, and restore function. The only sensations reported during the procedure is a cramp sensation called a “trigger response”. This means the technique is working. This procedure is also used to re-mobilize a stiff joint that is impairing function. The procedure is as follows:
- Disposable acupuncture needles are inserted into the affected muscles and advanced as necessary.
- Patients report a cramping sensation as the muscle twitches.
- Needle are removed immediately.
- Since the muscle has been worked, there may be some stiffness which can be alleviated with heat.
- There may be some residual bruising.